Buskers on the island of Jersey may no longer be forced to give all December earnings to charity, after deputy Montfort Tadier, the minister for economic development on the island’s parliament said the laws “may be open to challenge”.
Current laws stipulate that 15% of the earnings must go to Jersey’s Joint Christmas Appeal, whilst the other 85% can be donated to a charity of the busker’s choice. A spokeswoman from the appeal said it did not “make an issue” of those who did not comply with the law, and added that performers were responsible for ensuring the money goes to charity.
Buskers must pay £30 for a busking licence and cannot play for any more than 30 minutes at any one site, return to the same pitch for at least an hour, use “amplified musical instruments”, or block any doorways, thoroughfares or shop window displays. The word of the law is that “over the Christmas period all money raised must go to charity”.
Annette Blanchet, the charity’s finance manager, said it has a “limited time” to raise it’s £100,000 target, adding that it is “very grateful” for the support received by buskers. Tadier said he was in talks with law officials regarding a change with a view to “make changes” next year.